Monday, November 2, 2009

Just Ducky

Photograph and report by Jillian Rennar
(C) 2009 All Rights Reserved

"This flock of mallard ducks has been spotted in Montauk Village all week long. I first saw them on Saturday from my post at John's Pancake House.They landed in the middle of Main Street and then the eleven of them proceeded to use the cross walk to waddle across the street like the Beatles crossed Abbey Road. They congregated around the Montauk Bake Shoppe, perhaps lured by the croissant crumbs.

On Sunday, I happened to spy them parading along the sidewalk, two by two, from the Chase Bank on their way toward John's. I ran and got my trusty camera and before I got back from the car, the bunch were outside the Pancake House mingling with other customers as if they were also waiting on line for breakfast.

They stayed for at least 20 minutes. Crissy and Wendy went outside and started feeding them toast; others gave them pancakes. People came and went yet nothing disturbed them. They were just hanging out. It was very refreshing, silly and happy to share our space with this bunch of birds."


No comments:

Post a Comment